What 457 Visa holders need to know about PR

by mapadmin : May 1st, 2018 457 Visa holders

The replacement of the 457 visa is big news for 457 Visa holders.

In March 2018 the popular Australian 457 work visa was replaced by the TSS (Temporary Skill Shortage) Visa.

If you hold or have held a 457 visa, the following transition arrangements may still allow you to apply for Permanent Residency.

Impact for Current 457 visa holders

If you currently hold a 457 visa, your visa will remain in effect until it expires.

Check your visa grant notice for information about your visa expiry and work conditions.

Pathway to PR for 457 visa holders

457 visa holders who held their 457 visa on 18 April 2017 OR who applied for a 457 visa on or before 18 April 2017 and the visa was granted, may be eligible to apply for PR through the 186 or 187 Temporary Residence Transition Stream.

The following requirements apply:

  • you hold a 457 visa or TSS visa
  • you are under the age of 50
  • you have been employed as the holder of a 457 or TSS visa by your employer for at least two years
  • occupation list requirements do not apply.

Access to these transitional arrangements will be available for four years, until March 2022.

These transitional arrangenents allow TSS visa holders who held or applied for a TSS visa on or before 18 April 2017 to have the option of applying for PR through Temporary Residence Transition if they meet the requirements.

If you applied for your 457 visa after 18 April 2017 you are required to meet new Temporary Residence transition requirements.

The following requirements apply:

  • You hold a 457 or TSS visa
  • You have an occupation on the MLTSSL (Medium-Long Term Strategic Skills List)
  • You are under 45 years of age
  • You have worked for your nominating employer for three years.

These requirements also apply to people who have been granted a TSS visa.

Where can I get help?

The Temporary Residence Transition Program has been a popular pathway to PR for 457 visa holders. If you hold or held a 457 visa it is worth finding out if the TRT PR pathway is still an option for you.

If you are an employer, employee or HR manager and you don’t know if you meet the requirements, your best option is to get some help.

Speak to one of the team at MyAusPath about your options for applying for PR.

About MyAusPath

MyAusPath is a full service Australian Migration Agency. We help individuals, business owners and HR managers to consistently achieve successful visa outcomes and we are registered with MARA so you know you can rely on our advice.

At MyAusPath we are here to give you friendly, efficient service to make the complex and constantly changing Australian visa application requirements simple and stress free for clients. We’d love to chat about how we can help you.

Connect with us

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/myauspath

Instagram: https://instagram.com/myauspath

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/myauspath

LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/myauspath